Welcome to the News Section of the ACC Dolphins Website. Information and updates will be posted here over the course of the season, so please check back often. If there's something you have a question about, but can't find here, please don't hesitate to contact us.
Date: Friday, May 24th, 2013
Dear Dolphins Swimmers & Parents,
Hope this message finds you well and enjoying the arrival of "swimming weather." As we head into the holiday weekend (remember, no practice on Memorial Day), I wanted to send out a few notices and reminders to be sure that everyone is up to speed as the season begins.
First, please be sure to turn in your meet registration forms (download here). We need these in order to know what swimmers will be available for our upcoming meets. Our first meet (versus Friendship) is coming up on June 5th, meaning we'll be doing entries on Wednesday and Thursday of next week. That being the case, we'd like to ask that all forms be turned in to us by Wednesday night (5/29).
Next, I wanted to remind folks of our sponsorship opportunities. Donations to the Dolphins go into a fund to help pay for things like meet entries, caps, lane ropes, and suits for swimmers who cannot afford them. Sponsor names will be printed on this year's T-shirt. For more information, see the Dolphins Facebook page, or email Bob Rogan. Remember also that one of our sponsors, Melissa Fontaine of Hip Pops, will be at practice tonight--half the proceeds go to the Dolphins, so bring your popsicle money!
Additionally, I'd like to draw your attention a few items on our website. Not only will you find meet information and announcements here, but also things like the Parents' FAQ and our Volunteer Handbook. Some folks have said they'd be glad to volunteer at swim meets, but need to know what they'll be doing. We'll have some training sessions prior to the first meet, but the Volunteer Handbook is the place to start.
Finally, if you have swimming related questions about your child, please direct them to the lead coach for his or her group. For the shallow end that will be Amber Juncker; for the Deep End it's Lindsay Grogan; and for the lanes, use our info address and one of us will respond.
That's about all I have for now. See you at the pool this afternoon.
Date: Tuesday, April 2nd, 2013
Dear Prospective Dolphins Swimmers and Parents,
Some important points of information with regard to the upcoming season are as follows:
- Registrations for the Dolphins opens at on Saturday, April 27th for Athens Clarke County residents and on Wednesday, May 1st for all other counties. Registrations will be accepted until the season begins, but the number of participants will be limited to 180. The cost is $55 for Clarke County residents (scholarships are available) and $83 for residents of the surrounding counties. Swimmers must register at the Bishop Park Community Center located at 705 Sunset Drive between the hours of 9:00 am and 4:00 pm.
- Swimmers must be 18 years old or under, and able to complete at least one "short lap" (15 yards) of Bishop Park Pool in order to participate. Swimmers who are not able to complete this distance should enroll in one of the many swim lesson programs available in the area.
- Practices will begin on Wednesday, May 22nd. Practices run Monday through Friday from 5:30 to 7:00 pm. Days off and other changes to the schedule will be announced in this section of the website.
- Information on competitions for the 2013 season can be found in the "Meets" section of this website. After signing up for the Dolphins, parents are asked to download the Meet Registration Form so it may be filled out and turned in the first week of practice. All meets will be home meets this year, so please begin considering ways in which you would be willing to volunteer.
- When you register for the Dolphins, please be sure to include your email address on the form. This is for swim team purposes only and will ensure that you are included on the Dolphins listserv . The listserv is one of the best means we have of getting important information out, so please do be sure that you give us accurate information. We do, however, post information in three other formats:
- Website: This is your first stop for information relevant to the Dolphins Swim Team. We will re-post emails and other weekly information under the What's New tab, but be sure to also check out the FAQ .
- Facebook: This is a community outlet. It is a great place to post pictures, ask general questions, and we will use it from time-to-time to recognize swimmer achievement. Get connected here.
- Twitter: If there is any change in practice plans, before or during practice, due to weather or facility limitations this is where you will find out. Just join, and follow "Dolphins Coach" @ACCDolphins (you can also click here ).
- Face time: And of course feel free to talk face-to-face with the coaches following our nightly practices with any questions or concerns.
All of us on the Dolphins staff are looking forward to another great summer season. If you have any questions not answered here on this site, please contact Dolphins Info for more information.